Starting a laundry business in Nigeria is not a rocket science and it is one of the cheap lucrative businesses in Nigeria.
The present population of Nigeria is estimated to be over 200 million people. Majority (47%) of these people is among the nations working force, meaning that; they have lesser time during the day to perform their domestic activities.
Some of them set out from their home by 6am in the morning and they return by 6pm at dusk. The busy schedule of this sect creates little or no time for them to carry out their basic chores like; cooking, washing dishes, cleaning the house and washing their clothes.
This singular reason has made dry cleaning business in Nigeria a multi-billion naira industry today.
Everybody cherishes the impression of looking good; especially wearing neatly washed and ironed clothes. Also, the compliments from people always create an ambiance in everybody.
Unfortunately, most people lack the time or a too lazy to take care of their laundry. Even, Saturday’s and Sunday’s are no longer free, because it’s the only time to chill out with friends and other spiritual engagement.
In this article, I will show you how to start a lucrative laundry business in Nigeria without much hassle.
What Is Laundry Business All About?
Laundry business in Nigeria popularly known as dry cleaning business encompasses the professional cleaning, drying, ironing, packaging and delivery of clothes or other fabrics to people or organizations.
Opportunities in Laundry Business in Nigeria
1. Dry cleaning
In every neighborhood, there are vast numbers of people who want to wash their clothes at their convenience.
This has made dry cleaning business in Nigeria the number one domestic dilemma to an average Nigerian.
This is where the idea of employing the service of a dry cleaner comes in. Intelligent entrepreneurs recognize this basic need in the society and they cash in to make a very profitable living while making others look good and happy.
2. Ironing Clothes
Most people can wash their clothes very well, but few people can iron different design and fabrics. Also, the epileptic nature of light and also lack of time is another major factor.
Most people usually take their rumpled clothes to laundry services to get them straighten-out. This is a cool way of making extra income without much stress.
The average cost of ironing one clothes is 100 Naira per clothing; if an individual brings 10 outfits, it will cost 1,000 Naira.
With this system, a dry cleaner can make more than 70,000 Naira per month just from ironing people’s clothes.
Why start a laundry business
- It’s very easy to start a laundry business and it requires little or no capital.
- High customer patronage due to the need to look good especially from corporate organization like banks.
- Laundry business is the simplest startup in Nigeria and it requires minimal facilities.
- Quick return and high profit from investment. Smart entrepreneurs can make a lot of money from this business
- Laundry business can be carried out anywhere, even in your home.
- Laundry business can also be done as a part time job in addition to your major job to create multiple source of income.
- Freedom from unemployment and hardship.
STEPS TO STARTING A DRY CLEANING BUSINESS IN NIGERIA
Starting a profitable laundry business in Nigeria requires the following steps:
Locating a strategic area for the business;
After drawing a business plan and doing your feasibility studies, location of the business is the next most important aspect of a laundry business and a well strategic site will be a welcome advantage. Suggested sites are;
- Areas that attract traffic
- Beside major road
- Closeness to banks
- Proximity to markets
- Residential areas.
While searching for a good location to site your business, endeavor to locate areas where there are no (or few) competitions. Note; the terrain of your Laundry business always affects the cost of your services.
For example, laundry business in residential areas pays more for laundry services than other locations. However, the costs of rent and electricity bill in residential areas are high.
Business Registration and obtainment of necessary permits;
Running a laundry business may require business registration and obtainment of important permits depending on the location of business.
Especially in developed nations there are certain rules, and special permit required to start a laundry business.
Although, in Nigeria, there are none except for the registration of the business name. Endeavor to find out and settle all necessary payments to avoid any sort of disruption.
Registration of business is required to make the business appear professional, forestall future embarrassment and apply for business loan from government and other international bodies.
Purchasing Equipment to start The Dry-Cleaning Business;
After renting a shop, the next step is to buy all the necessary equipment needed to carry out your services. The equipment to acquire is largely dependent on the scale of operation of your business.
Individuals with little funds cannot buy major equipment like generator or washing machine, but they can start small by buying bowls and washing manually with their hands.
Listed below are the equipment needed for setting up a smooth running laundry business
- Washing bowls: It’s important to get several bowls to segregate and immerse different fabrics and color of clothing.
- Laundry detergent: Acquire only detergent used by laundry men, and avoid detergent that damage or reduce the compromise the quality of clothes.
- Garment Conveyor: Popularly known as hanger for sun drying washed clothes.
- Ironing table: For straightening washed clothes without stress.
- Pressing iron: Good pressing iron with different features to straighten out different fabrics.
- Water: The importance of good water supply, equipment for conveying and water storage facilities must be provided.
- Starch: It’s highly needed to add glamour to customers’ clothes.
- Nylon: To package ironed clothes.
- Tags: to avoid mixing of customers clothes.
- Shelves: To bar ironed and well packaged cloth.
- Generator: To power your electrical equipment, in case of power failure.
- Washing machines: although, they are several categories, buy a pocket friendly washing machine.
Promoting your Laundry business;
After purchasing the necessary equipment needed to start the business, focus more on marketing your business and services.
Marketing is a major arm of the business and it’s what brings money to the business.
Below are some highlighted points on how to market your business:
- Erect a big sign post or banner outside your dry-cleaning shop.
- Print out fliers and distribute to people
- Use social media to advertise your business.
- Talk to people physically about your business
- Offer discount services to new customers
- Home services are extraordinary way of advertising your business.
- Offer excellent services at a fair price list.
Challenges of Laundry Business
- Clothes are usually stolen from dry cleaners, when they wash them.
- Occasionally, clothes do get burnt due to high voltage power.
- Unstable power supply can be a major hindrance to dry cleaner without generator.
- Corrupt staffs.
- Clothes are torn during washing.
- Poor supply of water.
Feasibility Report on Dry-Cleaning Business
Start-up or Seed Capital;
|Rent and electricity bill per year||400,000|
|Total Equipment Costs||120,000|
|Cost of drying clothes||1||350|
|Average clothes per individual||12||12 X 350 = 4,200|
|Average number of customers per day||14||14 X 4,200 = 58,800|
This calculation is entirely built on the fact that proper marketing has been carried out to generate more customer per day. Also, the prices of rent, and cost of services varies with locations.
Note: The above calculation is based on a medium scale enterprise. You should know that start up capital may be far less (below ₦100,000) or way above ₦600,000.
Laundry business in Nigeria is indeed a profitable venture that can you a good fortune. To succeed a good location and a good marketing approach, must be taken seriously. Agree on the scale you want to start.
Do your feasibility studies and know the cost of things in the environment you want to set up.
Is this article helpful to you? Kindly share your view with us in the comment session.