The egg business in Nigeria is very competitive among farmers, and those involved in it have become very competitive among many entrepreneurs in Nigeria.
However, the Egg business is very lucrative. It is necessary since it serves as a source of protein for kids and those who consume it.
Demand for the egg is high because it is always needed within cities and towns. Eateries, hotels etc., most especially demand it.
Nigeria’s egg distribution business has created numerous direct and indirect employment jobs.
Eggs are used in numerous products; it includes: the production of most baked snacks, eggs are used in the manufacturing companies like bakery, and as such, their demand and usage in Nigeria remains high.
With a readily available market, there is excellent potential to build a million-dollar business out of the egg delivery business in Nigeria.
Egg production and distribution is a friendly and great business to venture into!
Egg Distribution in Nigeria
The egg distribution business has contributed hugely to the Nigerian economy. About 49% of the Nigerian population consumes at least 70 to 100 eggs annually; the annual revenue from eggs would rise to N340 billion.
Egg sales in Nigeria have contributed 25% to the GDP of agriculture of the National Economy. Source: The Poultry Association of Nigeria (PAN)
Eggs are primarily consumed by a wide range of people and organizations in Nigeria, ranging from hotels, restaurants, events, families, and individuals. It is used mainly in producing baked snacks, bread, and cakes and in manufacturing companies.
Demand for eggs and usage in Nigeria remains high and will keep skyrocketing. With a broad market and the potential to build a Billion-Naira market out of the egg distribution business in Nigeria.
Realities of The Egg Distribution Business in Nigeria
It requires low startup capital.
The egg supply business does not require special skills as long as you are responsible.
- Eggs are a great source of protein.
- Eggs have a wide variety of consumers.
- It can create a weekly/monthly income.
- The colour of the yolk depends on the hen’s diet.
- The size of an egg depends on the age of the hen that lays it.
- For the best hard-boiled eggs, use eggs that are at least 10 days old.
Importance of Egg Business to the Economy
- It is a source of employment for people.
- The egg is a Source of protein for consumers.
- Egg serves as food.
- It is used in the production of snacks and food products.
- It can be exported to foreign countries (foreign exchange).
- The egg business generates 25% of the agricultural GDP.
- If well managed and utilized could grow into a big market that could bring massive GDP for the nation.
Disadvantages of Egg Business in Nigeria
- A calm and moderate environment is required to preserve eggs.
- The egg could only stay 3-5 weeks in a quiet environment before spoilage.
- Rodents like mice and rats could cause damage to Eggs easily.
- The Source of Egg supply must be reliable to meet up with demands.
- The supplier must be up and doing because there are many competitors.
How to Start an Egg Distribution Business
- Identify a reliable farm that produces eggs in large volumes and is reliable:
The First step is to identify a reliable farm and competent farm that produces a large number of eggs and can meet up with daily demands of eggs.
- Raise adequate startup capital:
The second step is to get enough startup capital, although, for a business like this, the initial wealth is low and encouraging since you could start with 50,000 to 70,000Naira and grow as time goes on.
- Secure potential customers:
The next step is to build your supply chain by reaching out to prospective clients with a high chance of making weekly recurrent purchases from your organization. This can be restaurants, hotels, boarding schools, and much more.
- Setup a storage facility and acquire the required equipment:
The last step is to build a well-equipped storage facility for storage and keeping of excess supply for future supply wholesales, as well as adequate security against theft and hazards that may be incurred.
Read Also: Best Selling Products on Jumia Nigeria Store
The egg business in Nigeria is a very lucrative and profitable business that has already created a market for itself and has its customers ready for demands.
The exciting part is that little capital is required to start an egg business in Nigeria, and minimal labour is required. The egg business is yours, and you will take it to another level.
The problem, or rather the thing that should be considered, is the storage facility or holding room where eggs could be kept before demands are made. It should be well equipped and conducive to prevent waste/damage of eggs.
The egg distribution business in Nigeria is a massive market on its own, which could create thousands of employment and income and generate considerable taxes for the government. The egg business in Nigeria is a large market from which even the government could harness and bring out more opportunities. The egg business should be a business that would be taken with all seriousness and practised well to generate more significant profit.